Special Olympics Namibia Board announced

Special Olympics Namibia Board announced
Photo credits: 
Katrina //Gowases

An official 7-member Special Olympics Namibia board was introduced to the public at a media briefing at the Football for Hope centre in Katutura, Windhoek on Thursday. The team will be chaired by Cliff Olivier.
The Special Olympics Namibia programme was initially suspended by Special Olympics International late last year, due to alleged mismanagement by the former board.
Thereafter, Special Olympics International contracted local Sports consultant- Ndeulipula Hamutumwa - to spearhead the process of recruiting a new board.
The six months' long process has now been concluded and the seven board members were appointed in November to lead the organisation for the next four years.
“This is the new board, by indication or by extension, it means that the former chapter is closed. Special Olympics Namibia is now fully accreted with SOI, that’s why this board could be announced today. So as from today the board that you will listen to or hear from is the current board that is the recognised by Special Olympic International…” Hamutumwa said.
The term of office according to the outdated SON constitution will be between three to nine years, but Hamutumwa said the new board is expected to amend the constitution in line with SOI and the National Sports act, then only allowing for a one-year term.
The board members are Taimi Itembu, Bishop Wahl Abrams, Advocate Mbanga Siyomunji, Chief Abraham Kanime, Paul du Plessis, Juline Garises, and Cliff Olivier as board chairperson.
Olivier says the board has been drawn from different areas of expertise such as governance, strategic planning, law, human development, youth, security and safety and sport
“SON is putting together a strategic plan that will spell out some of its high level initiatives that will be implemented during its tenure. These initiatives include, establishing an efficient and effective board that will be accountable and transparent to all stakeholders and provide good governance in all its work, implementing an efficient administration team to ensure that all SON programs will be decentralized to all regions of Namibia, Introducing sustainable programs in all regions around the country , devising strategies to mobilise and raise fund for SON activities and the 50th anniversary celebrations of Special Olympics International” Olivier noted.
It was also announced that the office, which was closed since last year, will be fully operational.
NBC Sport got the views of some members who were also present at the announcement.
“I’m happy the programme will be operational and the athletes can now compete”said Executive member of Namibia Paralympic Committee Nicky Namono.
“I would not say I’m happy, but let’s give them a chance” added the Principal of Moreson Special School.
The board will appoint more members in future to ensure a wide representation and to comply with the requirements of Special Olympics International.