Ministry of Health confirms Windhoek cholera case

Ministry of Health confirms Windhoek cholera case
Photo credits: 
http://news.ufl.edu

The Ministry of Health confirmed, in a statement to the media on Wednesday, that a 10-year-old learner from People’s Primary School in Katutura tested positive for cholera.
The patient was admitted to Windhoek Central Hospital (WCH) on 25 January.
The ministry says, “it was reported that two other boys in his class were also vomiting and had diarrhoea.
Upon investigation, it was revealed that the two boys including the patient in WCH shared a sausage and started vomiting and having diarrhoea a few hours later.
All were taken to hospitals by their parents, suspecting food poisoning.”
On 29 January the results of the 10-year-old came back positive with vibrio cholerae isolated.
“It should be noted that one confirmed case of cholera constitutes an outbreak,” says the ministry.
Cholera is an acute diarrheal illness caused by Vibrio cholerae. This condition can lead to severe dehydration in a matter of hours unless quickly treated.
The boys are discharged and doing well.
Permanent Secretary, Petronella Masabane says no other case has been reported so far.