Otjinene residents warned on dangers of fire

Otjinene residents warned on dangers of fire

A fire officer in the Otjinene Village Council, Erastus Ndjavera is calling on residents to be more cautious when making a fire during winter.
Speaking to NAMPA on Thursday, Ndjavera said people are now making fires in their yards and taking it inside their bedrooms to help avert the cold.
The fire officer noted that this practice is very dangerous and contributes to houses burning down.
“Prevention is better than cure and residents should be on alert regarding these dangers,” Ndjavera said.
He further said the use of candles at hostels and at home by children studying at night is another major cause of fires.
Ndjavera advised parents to buy solar lights instead of candles for their children to avoid the risks of fire.
“I think it will be ideal for teachers in schools to do inspections during exams or when learners are studying at night. The real winter is coming and we have to be on alert to prevent fires,” he said.
Residents are also warned to be careful of where they make fires as they might damage electrical cables underground.
“This is very risky as those cables can put people’s lives in danger,” the officer warned, before urging residents to always call the fire brigade on time to prevent delays in extinguishing out-of-control fires.
“Residents should acquaint themselves with our contacts and contact us immediately when a fire breaks out,” he said.
Additionally, Ndjavera urged farmers in neighbouring villages to work together in case of a fire.
“Although we are not catering for villages outside Otjinene, we give advice to communities on measures to help themselves when encountering fires,” he said.
He also advised farmers that are cutting and burning poles in their camps to make sure they extinguish the fire immediately when done.