President Geingob vows to continue Operation Kalahari Desert

President Geingob vows to continue Operation Kalahari Desert
Photo credits: 
NAMPA

President Hage Geingob has vowed that the current anti-crime operations carried out by the Namibian Police together with Namibia Defence Force will continue.
This, he says, is because the government takes the war on crime seriously and would stop at nothing to eliminate all forms of crime.
The current crime prevention initiative, Operation Kalahari Desert, has however been criticised by some quarters of the society over its use of force.
The operation, which replaced festive crime prevention operation, Hornkranz, has seen officers shooting at members of the public and has resulted in two fatalities so far.
President Geingob apologised for the isolated incidences and says the law is dealing with the culprits as the matters are being investigated and are before the courts.
However, he added, the deployment of armed forces into the streets is needs-based as these operations are taking place with strict adherence to maintaining the rights and freedoms of citizens.
The Namibian leader thanked some communities for the positive response to Operation Kalahari while imploring others to cooperate with the armed forces to root out illegal activities in crime-infested areas.
President Geingob was speaking during the inauguration of the state-of-the-art NamPol national headquarters in Windhoek on Friday.